THE CHORUS OF WESTERLY
Posted: September 13, 2023
Schedule: Full-Time (with specific schedule)
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Applications: Being accepted now.
Submit applications and questions by email only to
No phone calls or drop-ins.
Review will begin immediately. Search may close at any time without notice.
See below for instructions on how to apply.
The Chorus of Westerly seeks applicants to become its Office Coordinator, a full-time position. Reporting to and receiving direction from the Deputy Executive Director, the Office Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day administrative operation of the Chorus of Westerly and George Kent Performance Hall’s main office and as well as the box office for all Chorus/Kent Hall events. The coordinator will also administratively support the entire Chorus staff clerically on a wide variety of tasks as assigned. The position is full-time with required days and hours of work that will align with the Chorus’s schedule of weekly rehearsals and monthly concerts and/or events. The position is an exempt position that is benefits eligible (health, retirement). The starting annual salary for this position is $40,000.
The functions, duties, and tasks of the position include, but will not necessarily be limited to:
- The regular administrative functions of any business office including but not limited to: answering phone calls, email inquiries, and walk-in office inquiries or visits; managing supplies and inventory, handling mail, parcels, and/or related bulk mailing projects; overseeing copier/printers and various office technology and coordinating with appropriate or needed vendors; reconciling daily financial activities and handling daily deposits to the bank; and other similar tasks.
- Serving as the first point of contact to the public and/or participant members and handle their various transactions such as (but not limited to) the selling and processing tickets and season subscriptions, processing member payments, processing donations, logging in and tracking member registrations and related paperwork, and other similar tasks. Troubleshoot and help resolve ticket questions and all patron needs related to Chorus activities. Serve as the organization’s lead with its databases.
- Helping to ensure the readiness and organization of the Chorus of Westerly’s performance hall, Kent Hall, for all activities and events, in collaboration with the facility manager, and serving as the main box office and house management lead on concert and event weekends.
- Recruiting and coordinating office and event volunteers to ensure proper office and event coverage.
- Supporting the Chorus senior staff and artists in the preparation for and execution of all Chorus major and minor events, rehearsals, and special programs and for other tasks or duties as assigned.
Throughout the year, the hours for the position will be in line with the Chorus’s rehearsal and performance schedule so that appropriate coverage is available to support organizational needs. The current planned schedule for the position (Sept. through the end of June) is Mon/Tue: 12 pm to 8 pm; Wed/Thu/Fri: 10 am pm to 6 pm. In July and August, the schedule will shift to a daytime schedule to be determined. For Chorus concert/event weeks, the coordinator will work an adjusted schedule during those times that will include require significant weekend work with several longer days. The coordinator will be expected to work the Chorus of Westerly's Summer Pops performance in Wilcox Park held in June each year.
The Office Coordinator will be a vital member of the Chorus of Westerly team and will usually be the first person to greet those who walk through the doors, call on the phone, or send the organization an email. As such, the candidate must be comfortable and able to work easily, confidently, and professionally with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and different ages, sometimes in fast paced or high stress situations (such as on concert weekends). The candidate must be very comfortable using the telephone or meeting face-to-face frequently with patrons, donors, sponsors, singers, parents, civic leaders, and others. The candidate must be comfortable and capable of asking for help from others, and for developing a core of supporters to serve as volunteers. The candidate must also be able to maintain confidentiality and privacy at all times and be sensitive to the needs of its patrons and membership.
The candidate must also understand the nature of a midsize nonprofit organization and that all staff members within the Chorus team must be prepared and willing to help out with any project that is assigned to them, even if it is outside the regular job descriptions. The candidate must be prepared to take instruction carefully and thoughtfully from senior staff members while also being able to work as needed independently.
The candidate will ideally have some experience in one or more of the following areas: office management, ticket and box office sales, volunteer management, concert or theater production or management, front of the house operations, public relations, logistics, or similar.
The ideal candidate will have some experience working in some capacity in the arts sector, the not-for-profit sector, or in a relatable position in another field that the candidate can demonstrate is applicable to the position description. Significant volunteer roles or leadership in the arts or not-for-profit sector, or collegiate leadership experience in these areas, can qualify for this type of past experience.
Please send a short cover letter addressed to Hannah Veale, a resume/CV, and the names of two professional/academic references with whom you have worked with in some capacity in the past five years.
These items should be sent only via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not drop these items off at the Chorus of Westerly/Kent Hall or mail them to the Chorus of Westerly. All questions should only be sent to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-ins to Kent Hall at this time. Candidates are encouraged to send their materials in as soon as possible as review of applications will begin immediately. The position will be opened until filled and the search is subject to end at any point in time without notice. The Chorus of Westerly is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
To Learn More About the Chorus of Westerly
Web - http://chorusofwesterly.org
Facebook - http://facebook.com/chorusofwesterly
Twitter - @choruswesterly, Instagram - chorusofwesterly
Music Director – Andrew Howell
Executive Director – Ryan Saunders
Deputy Executive Director – Hannah Veale
Board Chair – Rudi Hauser
The Chorus of Westerly is a certified 501(c)(3) charitable arts organization. The Chorus is beginning its 65th concert season.